Skip to Content
Streetsblog Massachusetts home
Streetsblog Massachusetts home
Log In
Highways

With Another $1 Billion Pledge From Washington, MassDOT Can Almost Afford Sagamore Bridge Replacement

A rendering of a multi-lane freeway with two bridge arches in the distance.

A rendering of the proposed new Sagamore Bridge, which has been designed to be significantly wider than the existing bridge. Courtesy of MassDOT.

On Friday afternoon, the Healey-Driscoll administration and the Commonwealth's congressional delegation announced that Washington had pledged a new grant of "nearly $1 billion" to help finance the replacement of the Sagamore Bridge in Bourne.

The funding will come from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law’s Bridge Investment Program (BIP).

The grant award supplements $372 million in federal funding that the U.S. Department of Transportation had already pledged in December from another grant program, and a pledge from Governor Healey to borrow $700 million in state bond debt, which future Massachusetts taxpayers would pay off with interest.

MassDOT expects its Sagamore Bridge replacement will cost about $2.1 billion.

The 2024 Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act committed an additional $350 million for the Sagamore and Bourne bridge replacements. MassDOT has not yet made a determination about how that funding would be split between the two bridge projects.

"We’ve never been closer to rebuilding the Cape Cod Bridges than we are right now,” said Governor Maura Healey in a press statement.

StreetsblogMASS has reached out to MassDOT to confirm the details of the project's financing and schedule, and will update this story when we learn more.

Bourne Bridge replacement still faces multi-billion-dollar funding gap

MassDOT's original "Cape Cod Bridge program" would have attempted to replace both the Bourne and Sagamore bridges in one project, at a cost of over $4.5 billion.

In addition to building new, 6-lane replacements for both the Sagamore and the nearby Bourne Bridge – each of which would be nearly twice as wide as the existing 4-lane bridges – MassDOT had also proposed to add more lanes to connecting highways like Route 6, add more lanes to local streets like Sandwich Road, build a new mile-long bypass road, widen intersections, and build multiple new highway-style interchanges on both sides of the canal.

In 2023, in light of the Commonwealth's unsuccessful efforts to finance that mega-project, the Healey administration announced a scaled-back, "phased" approach that would focus on replacing the Sagamore Bridge first.

More recent project plans have cut out some of the highway expansions proposed in earlier iterations, although plans still call for large, high-speed highway interchanges on both sides of the Cape Cod Canal for both of the new bridges.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog Massachusetts

Boston School Buses Won’t Have Automated Enforcement Cameras to Start the School Year

"The City of Boston will do everything in our power to make sure that every child is safe in our city," said Mayor Wu.

August 28, 2025

DCR Striping Project Attempts to Calm Traffic on Mystic Riverfront Rotaries in Arlington and Medford

New crosswalks and wheelchair accessible ramps should be installed "by summer 2026," according to DCR officials.

August 28, 2025

Guest Column: Lawmakers Eviscerate Philadelphia’s Transit System

"Cutting almost half of a transit system is not a way to make it more efficient. It more like asking whether you’d like to keep your heart or your lungs."

August 27, 2025

Families of Crash Victims Establish New Mass. Chapter of Families For Safe Streets

Massachusetts Families for Safe Streets will advocate for life-saving changes to streets and public policy while also offering support to families who have lost loved ones to roadway violence.

August 26, 2025
See all posts